Tuesday, July 15, 2008

caged freedom

This is a work of fiction any resemblance to anyone living or dead is totally coincidental and unintentional
When tough times are here can happy times be far behind.
I know I’ve morphed the lines of a great poem to my whims but then whatever may come I’ve always been a true optimist.
Even when problems spurt out from the left field always tried my best to keep my composure. People always how tough can it be for me to be positive always when you have been born with a silver spoon. I agree maybe I was born filthy rich but then it was that which made it worse.
Always there were restrictions. I’ve never known how it is have loads of friends or steal mangoes from the neighbors garden, playing a prank and running away, playing cricket on narrow streets and running away after a 6 i.e. when the ball cracks someone’s window pane and they come screaming. Have seen only these sights through movies but then it kept getting worse as nowadays everyone however be his economic condition is shown rich and living in mansions.
Friends that I have now or maybe had were all those rich arrogant snobs. Never have I even once felt in place with them but they were my only windows to humanity. With parents ever busy cracking million dollar deals had very less time for their only child.
But then all those days changed with the untimely demise of my dad. I was left all alone and to fend for myself. My mother (step-mother infact, mom died as and when I was born) turned the tables and took over the whole property and business leaving me with nothing but a trust which dad had created for me which was what I could say fool-proof but I could only reap its benefits when I become 21. Having just turned 18 a few days back didn’t think I would ever think of the trust. Now I was left all bereft of the pleasure that I always took for granted. But I never did I ever care about the money. No one cared for me any more left all alone in this world the first thought that came across was to explore the world.
Always wanted to be like a common man enjoying small joys in life and finding pleasure in every work (or at least that’s how they were shown in movies). After out of the house first time all alone on foot. Knew that no one would even realize I had gone missing back at home. Didn’t know where exactly I wanted to go but just kept walking. Reached a railway station, in all these 18 years of my life not even once have I traveled by this chugging array of many tall cars. The first ever time.
The railway station was terribly crowded didn’t know what to do or where to go. Saw many youngsters climbing onto a train just copied them. Got in and saw people sitting everywhere on flimsy blue colored long seats. Suddenly a fellow in a black coat came over and kept asking everyone something for which as a reply the passengers took out a small but of paper and showed him. Wondered what that was, slowly realization struck must be tickets! Which I had totally forgotten about. Oh! My god! Scared with no other choice in hand I jus kept retreating back till a reached door labeled toilet. Immediately went inside it and hid. My brains had totally stopped working just kept praying desperately. After what I felt like an hour I slowly mustered up enough courage to get out and try my luck. Ahh.. He had left. But then the adventure had just begun. As I came out I couldn’t believe my luck. There she was standing outside my dear nanny who must be possibly the only person who loved me truly and vice versa. Both of us were totally shocked and speechless for quite a while. I couldn’t believe my luck.
Overcome with joy we just kept on talking and talking not thinking where we were standing. And then came a sudden turn and both of us were thrown out of the train.
Fallen on the parallel tracks last sight which I had was her smiling a clear blissful one, wondered how could she smile so even at the mouth of death.
That was my last memory when I woke up next couldn’t see much but saw loads of blurred faces around all smiling and looked very happy. Suddenly vision cleared out and saw their faces but couldn’t recognize any. Could hear a babble of joy. They all were saying I was very lucky. Apparently I had fallen into coma for the past 11 years. But my first question was where was my nanny, the smiles disappeared they said she had died as she hit the ground. She was anyway in her last stages of leukemia and those were possibly her last few days. My desire to live had died. Who was there left for me? My legs had also got paralyzed making me a cripple for life. One trip had made me lose so much that meant the world for me. Now with the trust money and with the help of some Samaritans planned to start afresh. Now with all the freedom I ever wished for being a common man I am free now but still with bounded to destiny.

No comments: