Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thumbing my way through

The human body, a complex organization of varied parts and mechanism, works wonders but even the smallest of the glitch can bring life to a standstill! Seriously these are definitely words not stringed out of sheer wild imagination but out of experience and by this don’t imagine me suffering from some grave disease… I could say this malfunction or a disordered function was nothing more than a mild pain but sure did it bring my daily activities to a grinding halt.
From this mild experience did I realize how vital any small part can be for us! Everything together in their best conditions can ONLY keep the body in the finest state. I can’t tell you how much I’ve realized about the astonishing performance of the body and the time’s it takes to fall are so perfectly coordinated with the time you need it the most.
This is something I learnt from the recent torturous experience of a slight pain in my thumb (and duh! No prizes for guessing my right one!) And how everything went haywire off!
It was the weekend before the first Cycle test (our periodical tests read: fast forwarded tortures, as it ends in a jiffy!), the time when all of us start learning the names of our subjects and slowly searching for books and not to mention the portions. And bang when I tried to write something, a jolt of pain just rushed through my thumb. Writing had become an absolute tormentor. Holding a pen and bet you anything was totally tormenting for my thumb. And for a person who does almost everything with her right hand and almost nil usage of my left, it was just impossible to do like anything. Thumb is the part of the hand that makes us hold things and has let us reach to what we are now. Everything done with our hands needs total co-ordination of the dear thumb, and when it ceases the activities of the whole hand just come crashing down!
Those days it was impossible to eat, Dress, bathe, hold anything, cycle, write and god knows what not! Now is it that I understand how much it would have value to an archer. Taken from our own epic the Mahabharatha where Eklavya had cut his thumb off as gurudakshina for his illicit procurement of gyan from Dronacharya. Seriously cutting someones thumb off is like whoa! Man… how can someone that too an archer who’s all skill and talent is solely dependent on the well being of their thumb. It’s like asking the nightingale Lata to give her vocal chords off to her guru.
But ya, coming back to my thumb crisis. I was totally clueless as such a problem had never lasted more than a few hours ever. But this time and the timings were just too perfect to get the point clear of total pure torture. Due to the dire arrangement of circumstances I was left with no other choice but to run off to the college hospital famous for their awfully accurate diagnosis!(for those who know less about the afore mentioned place it was sarcasm intended) and maybe it was luck shining the doctors were not available then. Didn’t know whether I had to thank my stars but then had to go to another nearby hospital, which generally is always deserted had this terrible queue outside it. Mauphy’s law proving itself right over and over again. :D Luck again and had ended up with the most grumpiest doc there! Who just kept screaming relentlessly at my thumb. And concluded that it was some tendon inflammation, Man! I wonder how the hell did I end up with it.. had her course and due to no change in pain had to approach the coll doc’s who happily told me it was due to “wear and tear”, man that saying always seemed so mild but when to comes to my thumb, man I was shit worried! Then came the exams which I happily screwed big time, but anyway who can rewrite fate ;) thumb pain or no pain, that that has to be screwed will be under any circumstances ;)
Now weeks later after that thumb feels kinda alright but still I have not even the vaguest idea of what had happened then to my thumb, after several x-rays and doc visit I’m as much in the dark as I was in earlier. Just hoping the pain doesn’t plan a visit again!

1 comment:

Moonstruck said...

hey, nice description!! Maybe you should mention your trip to kl in search of a trustworthy doctor too ;)